Sunday, April 26, 2009

Beginnings

About four years ago something happened in our lives that has dramatically affected me more than anything else I've ever done. We started reading the scriptures, everyday. About a chapter or two each day.

I graduated from a Christian college, I grew up attending Christian churches, and I went to a Christian seminary for graduate studies. So I knew the Bible. But this time was different.

A few months after we started reading the scriptures every day, I started a blog just for fun. The purpose of my blog was not to prosyletize or convert, it was just to get to know other people. Somehow in that process I ended up meeting people of many different backgrounds and faiths. If there was one thing that was a foundational belief of my Christian faith, it was that we were the only ones that would ever see God in the afterlife. After all, Jesus said that he was "the way, the truth, and the life, and no one comes to the Father but through" him. I figured that as I started making friends with these people, I might befriend some of them and even lead someone to the Lord. What a great way to live life - to make new friends and simultanelously to lead them into the truth that I knew so well already!

Concurrant with these happenings, I had been to a Christian prophecy meeting where someone had prophesied over me that I would be learning more about God during that upcoming year than I had ever known before. They went on to say that I would be able to discern between what is of God and what is not of God and that my heart would be open to learning these things.

As I started making new friends, I found a lot of what I used to find on the internet. Many people who were shallow and content to leave things the way they are. While they might have been looking for fulfillment and some even were looking for knowledge, most didn't appear to be actively seeking truth. I did, however, find a few seekers out there. And they didn't much fit the profile of what I thought they'd look like.

Among those people I met who devoutly sought to worship a Supreme and divine God of the Universe were Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, American Indians, and yes, a few Christians. After I came to know some of them on a fairly deep level, I realized something that shook my life and my faith to the core.

There would be more than just Christians in Heaven.


Next post "Jesus who?"

No comments:

Post a Comment